INTRODUCING BALANCE INTO YOUR LIFE
How do we juggle it all?
Is it even possible to?
Finding balance with all the million things we need to get done in life is something that I think everyone tries to master.
Life admin in itself can take days or weeks to sort through, so imagine throwing other things in the mix such as business, work, family, church and time for stillness. It's a lot and I dont know about you, but I often feel like I am running on autopilot.
Life balance in our part of the world is talked about non stop, and yet so few of us are actually able to incorporate it into our lives, and enjoy this balance. Maintaining a healthy life/work balance is essential not only for our well-being, but it can add a tremendous boost to our overall productivity, energy and motivation levels.
A well-balanced person has a far greater ability to focus their attention and energy on attaining their goals, taking productive actions and moving forward in a meaningful way.
A balanced life will look different for everyone, and the most important thing is figuring out how you can achieve this in the midst of your seemingly never-ending schedule.
There are some adjustments that I have had to make in order to introduce balance to my life- it has been critical for my sanity! I thought I'd share for those who might need some ideas or inspiration to do the same.
6 ways to introduce balance into your life
- Switch the gadgets off - We are constantly turned on, receiving notifications 24/7, and turning ourselves away from our many gadgets can instantly create a sense of stillness in our lives. I enjoy disconnecting some evenings, and weekends to give my brain a rest from all the apps, tablets and computers. This forces me to seek out ways of engaging in more meaningfully with my family and friends.
- Pay attention to your own self-care- I used to think that taking care of myself was a real luxury until I realised that our health really does affect the quality of our lives and our output. Self-care doesn't have to cost a lot; its more about focusing on the basic necessities that the body requires such as adequate sleep, eating well, cleaning your environment, exercising, and filling your mind with affirming, and encouraging things. Throwing in a treat here and there isn't harmful either! When you have a busy lifestyle, self-care can be the last thing on your mind, but it should be on the top of our list because if we are worn out, we can easily lose perspective and motivation.
- Learn to say no - This was quite difficult for me until I found myself busy every single weekend because I hadn't learnt to politely and confidently decline social requests. There is a balance to it all. Sometimes we need to enjoy socials as it cements and affirms our place in community, and other times, its nice to decline in order to spend a quiet restful weekend at home.
- Take some time to appreciate your relationships - Setting aside time to spend with family and friends can be so refreshing. Stan and I often go out for evening walks, just talking, laughing and being silly. Those moments are so precious to me because we don't often get the time to do this, and when we do, it gives us a chance to just exhale. Make an intentional effort to really be engaged with the people around you. Whether it's having coffee with a friend, playing with your children, or spending some time with older family relatives are precious moments that we can't get back.
- Explore the world and expand your awareness - My husband is great at this. He is always doing something different, and new, whether it's enrolling on an interesting course, or learning a new skill he is constantly exploring and trying new things. There is something so refreshing about this as it switches your mind off your repetitive routines, and can inject new life into your experiences. So take that cooking or sewing class, and learn that skill! Groupon and Wowcher are great for affordable activity days.
- Prioritise - It's really important to set goals, and tasks in order of importance otherwise your days will tend to become a jumbled mess of many things. I often use my journal to document a few things that need to get done and this helps me to stay on course!
What are some of the things that you do to find balance in your life? I'd love to know!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG TO RECEIVE THE LATEST BLOG POSTS STRAIGHT IN YOUR INBOX!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.